Position Website and Application Information
Join the City of Reno and become part of an amazing team who strives every day to make our community a place we are all proud to call home.
The successful candidate in this position will perform a variety of technical tasks in the planting, preservation, trimming and removal of City-owned trees; ensure adherence to safe work procedures and practices; and perform a variety of maintenance tasks in support of assigned areas of responsibility.
We currently have two vacancies in the Parks and Recreation Department in which hiring will begin immediately following the close of this recruitment. This recruitment will also establish a list for future vacancies, which will be filled as they occur.
This is an open competitive opportunity for all qualified applicants.
The City of Reno is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to everyone. This commitment is an integral part of our efforts to ensure that we have a diverse and representative workforce that serves the community of Reno.
Examples of Essential Functions
- Perform a variety of technical tasks in the planting, preservation, trimming, and removal of City-owned trees.
- Prune trees for overall healthy appearance and safety; remove dead, dying, or unsafe tree limbs and trees using appropriate tree removal equipment and apparatus.
- Safely operate and maintain a variety of hand and power tools including, but not limited to, a chain saw, brush chipper, stump grinder, dump truck, front end loader, backhoe, aerial lift truck, power pole saws, and various tree climbing equipment.
- Plant new trees according to established schedules on public right-of-ways, City parks, and City-owned property.
- Identify tree diseases and pests; safely and accurately spray trees with appropriate fungicides, herbicides, and pesticides to eradicate various diseases.
- Maintain the City's tree nursery including watering, weeding, pruning, and transplanting trees.
- Respond to emergency calls for service regarding needed tree removal; respond to requests and inquiries from the public regarding tree preservation activities, codes, and regulations.
- Ensure adherence to safe work procedures; set up appropriate traffic safety controls around tree pruning and maintenance work sites.
- Perform related duties as required.
The following minimum qualifications are required to be met at the time of application.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
- One year of responsible tree maintenance experience, including use of aerial devices and tree climbing with rope and saddle.
License or Certificate:
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL A) with appropriate endorsements within six months of hire.
- Possession of or ability to obtain certification as a "Certified Arborist" or "Tree Worker/Climber Specialist" issued by the International Society of Arboriculture is desirable.
- The City of Reno will require the successful candidate for this position to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Verification of vaccination status will be required at the time of job offer, requests for reasonable accommodation will be considered. Please DO NOT attach any individual health information related to COVID-19 vaccination status to the application.
**Bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.**