The Northwest Area Joint Board of Conservation Districts is seeking a self-motivated person, able to work independently and/or as a team member in rural northwestern South Dakota. The Natural Resource Specialist (NRS) will provide technical assistance to private landowners, businesses, and units of government and will work with Harding, Perkins, Dewey, Ziebach and Tri-County Conservation Districts as well as the NaturalResources Conservation Service (NRCS) staff. This position is based out of Bison, South Dakota.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- This position is an entry level position perfect for recent graduates.
- Knowledgeable of basic principles and practices of silviculture.
- Become knowledgeable and proficient of conservation practices and related tree and shrub planting and management.
- Effective at developing and maintaining human relationships and engaging with the public.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather, gather information, and make sound and reasonable conclusions.
- Consideration will be given to a combination of education and experience with course work in water, plant,animal, soils, forestry, and natural resource management.
- Inspect proposed shelterbelt sites and analyzes soils information to determine need and feasibility for the planting of trees and shrubs.
- Prepare tree planting plans and fencing plans. Lay out shelterbelts for tree planting and installation of weed control fabric.
- Assist state and federal agencies with utilization of various programs to assist landowners with planting of trees and shrubs for livestock protection, farmstead protection, snow management, soil erosion control,wildlife benefits etc.
- Prepare, certify, and process tree planting projects for the Northwest Area Tree Planting Grant that providecost share to program participants.
- Provide information pertaining to conservation district, state and federal programs, and information and education to farmers, ranchers, homeowners, and units of government.
- Assist farmers, ranchers, homeowners, and units of government on tree health issues related to insects and diseases and provides control recommendations per South Dakota State University and South Dakota Department of Agriculture.
- Conduct outreach and education efforts including news releases, field days and workshops. Perform other work as assigned.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is dependent on education and work experience. The Northwest Area Joint Board offers
health insurance coverage and South Dakota Retirement.
Application Deadline: December 20, 2021
Send cover letter, and resume to: Northwest Area Joint Board, C/O Perkins County, Conservation District, P.O.
Box 189, Bison, South Dakota 57620 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org