Franklin Grove, Illinois (IL) IL404
WORK WITH US
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in more than 35 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
Restoration Technicians will perform and participate in prairie management and restoration activities at Nachusa Grasslands, a 3,300 acre preserve near Dixon, IL. These are great opportunities to learn about plants and animals, and natural areas management with an emphasis on ecological restoration.
Restoration Technicians will work with a crew to remove invasive species and hand-collect native seeds. Other tasks include fence removal and fence building along with maintaining and cleaning buildings, setting up for events for visitors and members, running errands, and repairing equipment.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- May interact with visitors.
- Works and interacts with volunteer stewards.
- Works under close or infrequent supervision.
- High school diploma and 6 months of related experience
- Experience operating various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g. Lawn mower, chainsaw, tractor, two-way radio, etc).
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. First Aid, CPR, herbicide application, and driver’s license).
- Course work in ecology or experience with natural areas restoration.
- Ability to follow instructions from colleagues.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
- Two positions will start in April and three position will start in May
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations for long periods of time in isolated settings, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 43837, submit resume and cover letter as one document. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on February 2, 2016.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of _**The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process._**
Position Title: Restoration Technician
Job ID: 43837
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Apply at http://my.jobs/66821f949cd2450087c5048ee75c5f7a10.