Department of Interior
United States Geological Survey
Central Midwest Water Science Center
OUTREACH NOTICE FOR RECENT GRADUATE OPPORTUNITY WITH USGS Hydrologist GS-1315-05/07
The purpose of this outreach notice is to notify eligible applicants of upcoming Pathways Recent Graduate opportunity with the US Geological Survey, Central Midwest Water Science Center, Urbana Illinois office.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS), Central Midwest Water Science Center will soon be filling a Pathways Recent Graduate Hydrologist position at the GS-05/07 level, with a starting hourly rate between $16.00 and $19.82.
We are interested in recruiting a recent graduate (within the past 2 years) or current student who will be graduating in December 2018. The incumbent will possess a high degree of motivation and will have a degree in or be majoring in a STEM related degree (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math). The incumbent will have some coursework or experience using Microsoft office with particular experience using Excel and Word and possibly some experience with Powerpoint.
This position will be open to currently eligible recent graduates or students who meet all the requirements of the Recent Graduates Program. Details about the Program can be found below. This position is located at the USGS Central Midwest Water Science Center, located at 405 N Goodwin Ave, Urbana IL 61801. This position is full time and year round.
About The Position
Work Schedule: Full time.
Benefits: Earned sick and annual leave. Paid holidays for holidays that occur during scheduled work days. Eligible for health benefits.
Desirable skills and knowledge include:
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with peers, scientists, and managers.
- Ability to compile, analyze, visualize, and manage environmental data.
- Ability to draft sections of reports and author data products.
- Ability to use a programming language such as Python, Java, MatLab, R Code, or other scientific programming languages.
- Ability to use Geographic Information Systems (GIS), such as ESRI ArcGIS suite of products, or other GIS programs
- Ability to use Surface Water or Groundwater modeling programs such as, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, SWAT, HSPF, or other modeling programs.
- Ability to work safely in the field collecting hydrologic data such as streamflow measurements, groundwater levels, and water quality samples.
About the Pathways Recent Graduates Program
The Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. To be eligible, applicants must apply within two years of degree or certificate completion (except for veterans precluded from doing so due to their military service obligation, who have up to six years after degree completion to apply). Successful applicants are placed in a dynamic, developmental program with the potential to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government. The program lasts for 1 year (unless the training requirements of the position warrant a longer and more structured training program). Here are some key provisions of the Recent Graduates Program.
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates,
bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a
qualifying educational institution.
- Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation,
have as much as six years after degree completion to apply.
- Current students who anticipate graduating December 2018.
Training and Development
- Orientation program for Recent Graduates hired for the program.
- Mentorship throughout the program.
- Individual Development Plan to create and track Recent Graduates' career planning, professional
development, and training activities.
- At least 40 hours of formal, interactive training each year of the program.
- Positions offer opportunity for career advancement.
After Program Completion
- Recent Graduates may be converted to a permanent position (or, in some limited circumstances, a
term appointment lasting 1-4 years).
- To be eligible for conversion, Recent Graduates must have:
- Successfully completed at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
- Demonstrated successful job performance.
- Met the qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
Please view link below for additional information and fact sheet about USGS Recent Graduates Program.
How to Apply:
Individuals will need to apply on USAJOBS to receive consideration. USAJOBS website: www.usajobs.gov. This outreach notice does not constitute an application.
For more information about this position, you may contact the Pathways Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-236-9588
USAJOBS announcement (PATH-2019-0002) is currently open on USAjobs.gov:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513088500 This vacancy will close on midnight
eastern standard time on Friday October 19, 2018.
This is a courtesy notification only and will not be used as part of your application. In order to receive consideration for the position, applicants MUST apply to the job announcement when it is open in USAJOBS. See below for information on how to register on USAJOBS.
What can you do in advance to prepare for this job opening?
Get familiar with USAJobs. https://www.usajobs.gov
Create an account on USAJobs website. https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Account
Use the USAJobs tool to create your profile and resume.
Post all relevant documents to your USAJobs account, i.e. unofficial transcripts showing current enrollment and/or transcripts showing degree awarded and veterans’ preference documentation. Please note that you will be disqualified and/or not receive veterans’ preference if documentation is not provided.
Sign-up for e-mail notifications for USGS job postings using the “save search” function in your USAJobs profile.
You can learn more about how to apply for Pathways opportunities on USAJobs through an Office of
Personnel Management video on YouTube:
To learn about the USGS: www.usgs.gov
The USGS is an equal opportunity employer.