Make a Difference in Local Communities While Launching Your Social Purpose Career
CivicSpark is a Governor's Initiative Americorps program dedicated to building a capacity for local public agencies to address emerging environmental and social equity resilience challenges such as: climate change, water resource management, affordable housing, and mobility. CivicSpark is managed bu the Local Government Commission (LGC) in partnership with the Governor's Office of Planning and Research.
CivicSpark offers a unique opportunity for recent college graduates to gain valuable experience in the sustainability field, grow professional and technical skills, and build a stong statewide network of professionals, all while having a lasting impact on local communities.
Fellows will spend 1,700 hours over 11 months serving full-time with their project partner, implementing projects across California that are tackling some of the biggest environmental and social equity issues facing communitites today, such as water resources and policy, climate adaptation and mitigation, affordable housing, and community mobility. The regions served by CivicSpark include: Central Coast, Central Inland (includes San Joaquin Valley), Greater Los Angeles (includes San Diego), Inland Empire, North Coast, Sacramento and the Sierras, and San Francisco Bay Area.
2019-20 Service Year Calendar
April 1, 2019: Fellow applications for the 2019-20 service year open! Positions are filled on a rolling basis with preference given to early applicants.
June 1, 2019: Priority deadline for Fellow applications.
Mid-August, 2019: All positions are filled for the 2019-20 service year.
August 25, 2019: The service year begins with an orientation for the 2019-20 CivicSpark Fellow cohort.
September 3, 2019: Local projects get underway!
Late-July, 2020: Projects wrap up and the 2019-20 CivicSpark cohort graduates.
- $20,000 Living Allowance (before taxes) spread evenly over 11 months
- $6,095 Segal Education Award upon completion
- SNAP (Food Stamps) for eligible participants
- Forbearance on existing qualifying student loans and payment of interest accrued during service term
- Health insurance
- Childcare assistance for qualifying Fellows, paid to an eligible provider of your choice
- Professional development training
- Network development with regional and statewide contacts in the community resilience industries
- Connection to a network of hundreds CivicSpark alum, and hudreds of AmeriCorps alums
- Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States of America
- Ability to pass FBI, CA DOJ, out-of-state (if applicable), and NSOPR background checks prior to service
- A 4-year degree from an accredited college or university
- Commitment to the full term of service (11 months)
- Capability to work in a professional office setting
- Strong communication (both verbal and written) and teamwork skills
* Additional preferred qualifications are listed on our website
Local Government Commission
firstname.lastname@example.org (916) 448-1198 x301
For more information, go to www.civicspark.lgc.org