UCSB’s Master of Arts (MA) in Global Studies is an innovative two-year degree program, which provides hands-on interdisciplinary research training. Alumni from our MA program have gone on to build meaningful careers in civil-society work, including media, socially responsible business, government, environmental protection, policy-research, economic development, local and international NGOs, education, law, and academia.
Funding: Generous Fellowships
Our MA funding packages are competitive. The program is supported by a generous grant from the Orfalea Foundation, which funds students during their internship/research abroad and our hands-on practicum series. Most MA students also receive Teaching Assistantships, which provide tuition remission, health insurance, a monthly stipend, and valuable teaching experience.
Curriculum: Think Globally
Our curriculum provides a broad background in world history, politics, culture, and economy that will equip you to “think globally” and prepare you for the challenges of the 21st century. Our talented and diverse faculty have knowledge of multiple regions of the world, are interested in global integration of ideas, and are committed to using global thinking to transform world problems.
The curriculum includes three areas of specialization:
- Global Political Economy, Sustainable Development, Environment
- Global Culture, Ideology, Religion
- Global Governance, Human Rights, Civil Society
During the first three quarters on campus, MA students become familiar with global studies debates, learn research skills, and define questions. The Summer and Fall after the first year is typically spent abroad with an internship or field research. Closely supervised by faculty mentors, students utilize this time to identify and understand a social problem, develop a research project around it, and gather evidence. The Winter and Spring of the second year are dedicated to project completion. As a Global Studies MA student, you'll become part of a growing global alumni network!
Is Global Studies right for me?
- Do you have a passion for world events and global issues like human rights, environment, and social justice?
- Do you like to immerse yourself in other cultures or get excited about learning new languages?
- Are you interested in working with global organizations, NGOs, or other civil-society work?
- Do you like to explore multiple perspectives and compare diverse regions across the globe?
- Do you want to explore a wide range of social sciences and humanities frameworks useful for analyzing major social problems?
Apply for the MA in Global Studies
The online application for the upcoming academic year is available in early September. The application deadline is December 15th. If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to our Staff Graduate Advisor Andrea Johnson: firstname.lastname@example.org