The Parent and Family Programs Office is your liaison to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. We want to make sure you are aware of what is happening on campus and the different resources that are available to you and your student. Our bi-weekly E-Update includes information about programs on campus that may be of interest to both students and their families. When you register for our electronic communications, you will receive the quarterly newsletter, the Illini Family that discusses topics such as the transitions your student is experiencing, changes for your family, and more. We also provide other resources to families, so we encourage you to connect with us. The first step is to visit our Parent and Family Programs website at union.illinois.edu/PFPO. This is where you can sign up to receive the E-Updates and newsletters.
We are also very active on social media, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. We also have a Facebook Group for all Parents and Family members of UIUC students to connect and communicate. There is also a group exclusively for new parents and families.
Feel free to call our office at (217) 333-7063 or e-mail us at email@example.com if you have questions. If you find yourself at a place where you do not know who to call, we encourage you to call our office. We may not have all the answers immediately, but we will do our best to put you in contact with someone who does.
By connecting with our office you will receive up-to-date details about events on campus, opportunities for both you and your student, and information regarding various services and resources that your student can take advantage of. You will also receive Campus Safety Notices as well as news items regarding people, developments, and achievements on campus.
Volunteering with the Moms or Dads Associations is an excellent way to play an active role in your student’s collegiate career.
Parent and Family Programs Office
Phone - (217) 333-7063
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Role of the Illini Union Parent and Family Programs Office
The Parent & Family Programs Office has developed Parent and Family Learning Outcomes that we believe will help you navigate your student’s transition from an adolescent to an independent young adult.
Expected Parent and Family Outcomes
- Understand the developmental changes parents and families experience when children embark on their collegiate careers.
- Be an effective mentor and coach for your college student.
- Understand the college experience your student is having in today’s higher education environment.
- Establish a level of involvement in your student’s collegiate career that is beneficial to you, your child, and the university community. Know when and how to empower your student to take responsibility.
- Establish regular communication with parents and families of all Illinois students, developing critical partnerships.
- Educate families to their new roles as the parents of a college student and to their development as parents, including how their lives are changing and examining how they are feeling and thinking.
- Provide parents of Illinois students with the information and tools they need to become effective mentors and coaches to their college students throughout their collegiate careers.
- Provide volunteer opportunities for parents and families that keep them connected to the university community and encourage the development of relationships among fellow Illini parents/families, the university, and the Moms and Dads Associations.