The State of Illinois Family Bereavement Act, effective January 1, 2023, includes leave provisions allowing eligible employees to take up to ten days of unpaid leave following a qualifying event involving a covered family member. This Act provides unpaid leave time for additional circumstances related to bereavement and is available to any employee who has been employed by the University for at least 12 months and worked at least 1,000 hours in the last 12 months. The University provides paid funeral leave which allows employees to be paid for up to five of the ten days of this family bereavement leave.
Please refer to the University of Illinois Paid Funeral/Bereavement Leave Policy for more information.
Questions regarding these changes may be directed to:
- Urbana-Champaign: Illinois HR (217) 333-3105 or ihr-LER@illinois.edu
- Chicago: UIC Human Resources (312) 413-3490 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- UI Hospital and Clinics (UI Health) email@example.com or fax (312) 355-1548
- UIC College of Medicine at Peoria (309) 671-8518
- UIC College of Medicine at Rockford (815) 395-5862
- Springfield: UIS Human Resources (217) 206-6652; firstname.lastname@example.org
- System Office: System Human Resource Services (217) 333-2600; email@example.com
Jami M. Painter, Ed.M., SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Senior Associate Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
System Human Resource Services
University of Illinois System