The Industrial Efficiency and Decarbonization Office (IEDO) is part of the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. The Department of Energy’s (DOE) IEDO is dedicated to improving energy and material efficiency, productivity, and competitiveness of manufacturing, including driving industrial decarbonization. We also invest in manufacturing innovation to accelerate and strengthen clean energy technology manufacturing, material supply chains and the broader clean economy, supporting the growth of a modern, equitable manufacturing industry. Current priority topics for IEDO include industrial decarbonization, critical materials, sustainable materials, supply chains, energy storage manufacturing, and the energy-water nexus.
IEDO is seeking talented and passionate ORISE Fellows that can support technical, programmatic, strategic, and policy efforts that will meet clean energy goals and drive innovation in U.S. manufacturing. Fellows will collaborate closely with IEDO staff – including several former Fellows – and will develop a broad understanding of the potential of new technologies as well as the barriers to technology deployment. With guidance from a mentor you will learn how to:
• Utilize scientific expertise to support decision-makers in the areas of energy efficiency policy, planning, research, development, and communication
• Analyze technical needs and opportunities and the potential impacts of program and policy decisions
• Provide input for analysis on industrial decarbonization, circular economy, and workforce development
• Assess the potential for next generation materials and processes
• Evaluate approaches to achieve practical minimum energy requirements and minimum lifecycle energy to manufacture and deploy next generation technologies
• Identify and evaluate new materials efficiency, waste reduction and recycling technologies
• Act as a technical resource for IEDO early stage applied research and development projects
Through these activities, Fellows will help establish and nurture the critical link between DOE decision-makers and other scientific professionals to support public policy.
Nature of Appointment
The fellow will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DOE, or any other office or agency. Instead, the participant will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE letter of appointment and Terms of Appointment.
- Citizenship: LPR or U.S. Citizen
- Degree: Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree, or Doctoral Degree.
- Communications and Graphics Design (1 )
- Computer, Information, and Data Sciences (7 )
- Earth and Geosciences (21 )
- Engineering (21 )
- Environmental and Marine Sciences (4 )
- Mathematics and Statistics (11 )
- Other Physical Sciences (12 )
- Other S&E-Related (2 )
- Physics (16 )
- Age: Must be 18 years of age
Apply Today! https://www.zintellect.com/Opportunity/Details/DOE-EERE-STP-IEDO-2023-1100