Below you will find resources related to mandated reporting. Resources include an online training, information about what to report and where to call in Illinois, and legislation related to child abuse and neglect.
Click on the following to move to that section of this page:
This site includes a 60-90 minute self-paced online course designed to help all Illinois Mandated Reporters understand their role in protecting children. Also included are FAQ's, required reporting forms and additional resources.
Documents related to training (PDF downloads):
The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) provides resources that answers such questions as "When should I call the hotline?", "What happens when I call the hotline?", "How am I protected?" and "How else can I help?".
The Early Intervention Training Program in collaboration with the Chicago Children’s Advocacy Center has released an online module entitled: Beyond Mandated Reporting: Recognizing and Responding to Child Abuse. This in-depth module provides the following:
- Comprehensive information on how to recognize abuse and neglect, and what to do if you suspect abuse.
- Invaluable resources for anyone working with young children and their families.
- Approved credit for early intervention
Physical Abuse and Neglect
Sexuality and Sexual Abuse
- Prevent Child Abuse America provides leadership to promote the prevention of child abuse and neglect at both the national and local levels. Information is also available in Spanish.
- Resources from the Chicago Children's Advocacy Center on physical and sexual abuse, as well as trainings, e-publications and information on internet safety
- Child Help is a national organization providing statistics and programs on child abuse prevention
- Sexual Abuse Prevention
Resiliency and Protective Factors
Child Advocacy Centers
Legislation related to Child Abuse and Neglect
- Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act of 1974 (CAPTA) (PL 108-36, Amended Jun 2003), sets forth a minimum definition of child abuse and neglect and establishes the Office on Child Abuse and Neglect, mandates Child Welfare Information Gateway, identifies the Federal role in supporting research, evaluation, technical assistance, and data collection activities, and provides Federal funding to States in support of prevention, assessment, investigation, prosecution, and treatment activities.
- Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act (ANCRA) (325 ILCS 5/, Amended Dec 2007), is designed to protect the health, safety, and best interests of Illinois children in all situations in which the child is vulnerable to child abuse and neglect.
- Abandoned Newborn Infant Protection Act (PA 94-941, Amended Jun 2006), provides a mechanism for in infants in Illinois to be relinquished into a safe haven.