Natural Resources Aide (summer 2021)
Agency: Iowa Department of Natural Resources
Location: Green Island, IA
Closing Date: February 26, 2021
Contact: Email a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to Curt Kemmerer at firstname.lastname@example.org. When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job
Position Summary: The Natural Resources Aide is expected to perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and technical tasks at a wildlife management unit. The employee is expected to display a high level of initiative and commitment towards completing assignments efficiently. Employees in this position will work with other wildlife unit personnel and be under the general direction of the Natural Resources Biologist. The job duties of this position include general wildlife management activities on State owned wildlife areas within the assigned unit counties. Overnight travel will occasionally be necessary to complete job duties.
- Perform general wildlife habitat management activities including: Wetland management, prairie management, forest management, native prairie seeding, food plot development, tree planting maintenance, edge feathering, tree/brush control, spraying, disking, mowing, etc. using large farm machinery, chainsaws, and other power or hand tools.
- Prescribed fire implementation for ecological purposes. This duty will require fire-line construction, fire-line holding, and mop-up activities. Performance of these tasks will require the employee to periodically work under physically stressful and adverse conditions. Proficiency in the use of basic wildland firefighting equipment will be needed.
- Waterfowl banding, various wildlife surveys/monitoring projects and CWD sampling. Collection of biological data occasionally will require early or late in the day work scheduling.
- General area and facility maintenance involving mowing, sign maintenance, fence building, fence removal, parking lot and access lane maintenance, equipment maintenance, etc. These activities require the ability to use simple power equipment, drills, saws, hand tools, chain saws, trimmers, small mowers etc.
- Special assignments may require some overnight travel as part of a crew, to accomplish large scale fence removal, fence building or tree removal projects outside of the assigned unit counties. These assignments will require the ability to work well with others, work out of doors under all types of weather conditions, and to withstand physically demanding work, i.e., lifting, bending and hauling.
See the complete announcement and apply here.