This page will have resources related to the Service Coordinator Forum on Navigating Financial & Insurance Conversations in EI. If you plan to participate in the forum, please follow our Community Guidelines (pdf). This resource list will be updated as the forum progresses.
EI-CBO is your best resource for all your billing and insurance concerns! The EI-CBO website facilitates information sharing with early intervention providers, early intervention program participants (parents or guardians), and Child and Family Connections agencies.
This page is specifically for Service Coordinators and other CFC staff and contains videos, job aids, forms, and instructions.
This page of frequently asked questions (FAQs) from CFCs can help answer common questions.
This page of FAQs from Families can be a helpful resource when talking to families. It includes common questions from families and answers from EICBO.
Contains procedures, policies, and forms for Service Coordinators related to insurance and billing.
These modules are part of the "Service Coordination Online" training sponsored by the Early Intervention Training Program. To view all resources for SC Online training, please visit https://go.illinois.edu/SCOnlineResources.
Resources by Topics of Interest
How EI Services are Funded
- NEW How EI Services are Funded (pdf) - provides a visual overview of the funding sources and the flow of funds for billing for EI services. This handout also defines Payor of Last Resort and explains why we bill insurance first.
What EI Services are Billable
Using Insurance to Pay for EI Services
Difference between self-funded and fully insured plans:
- Fully-insured plan—employer purchases insurance from an insurance company. The insurance company assumes the risk of providing health coverage for insured events.
- Self-funded plan—employer provides health benefits directly to employees and pays the claims as they occur. The insurance company administers the plan and processes claims. The employer assumes the risk of providing health coverage for insured events.
Non-employer self-funded and self-funded plans are covered in the following sections of Section 4 of SC Online training:
Insurance Benefit Verification (BV)
- NEW Insurance Exemptions Overview (pdf) - defines an exemption, lists reasons for exemptions, and outlines process, timelines, and impacts for exemptions.
Health Saving Accounts (HSA)
- Family Fee resources page - includes policies and procedures for family fees, questions and answers document, and a sample fee invoice.
- Please note the family fee is suspended temporarily during COVID-19 pandemic