We are pleased to announce the inaugural College of Education Volunteer Week. Before his retirement, Dean Anderson approved faculty and staff to use OPL (other paid leave time) for 1-3 hours of community volunteering during the week of July 25-29, 2022.
We invite you to participate in volunteer week. We have created a list of ideas of organizations below, or you may choose your own project and organization. To participate, please coordinate with your supervisor and team members when choosing the date(s) and time(s) you plan to volunteer. In addition to indicating the OPL on your timesheet, please submit a record of your volunteer time here. We would love to be able to share our commitment to Public Engagement with the greater community.
The College of Education Volunteer Week aligns with the land grant mission of the University of Illinois to engage and serve the public and our local communities. Members of the College of Education community also share a commitment to respecting diversity of ideas and social identities, making the tools of learning accessible to everyone, and participating in community outreach. We can make a difference in people’s lives locally, nationally, and globally through community outreach.
Please consider any of these local organizations as possible organizations to give your time:
- Assisted Living Centers:
- Family Service, Senior Resource Center:
- Creativity on Wheels program: Contact Julie Schubach at email@example.com They are looking for volunteers to help put Creativity kits together for seniors.
- Allerton Park – Please reach out to Olivia Warren phone: 217-333-3287, firstname.lastname@example.org They have opportunities for garden workday on Wednesday that week from 8 a.m. to noon and also a summer camp that they need volunteer help for.
- Urbana Public Arts Program: Please reach out to Rachel Storm for volunteer opportunity details email@example.com
- Eastern Illinois Food Bank
- United Way Champaign County
- Blood/Plasma donations
- Museum of the Grand Prairie: contact Pat Cain PCain@ccfpd.org They may be able to use some help during the July volunteer week for their Discovery Garden space. Volunteers may be able to help pull weeds in the garden space, water, and handle other general maintenance.
Please contact organizers Emily Stone (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Lori Fuller (email@example.com) with any questions.