The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is evaluating limited resumption of study abroad programs for the Summer 2021 term. The university values study abroad as an enriching experience but student well-being is our foremost concern.
While the university is evaluating potential programs, you should know:
- No study abroad experience can avoid the risk of COVID-19 infection.
- All study abroad experiences will differ significantly from those before COVID-19 and will vary by program and country.
- Precautionary measures may limit personal and academic travel opportunities.
- You are expected to cover additional costs that may arise from COVID-19, including program or travel disruption and quarantine.
- Short notice changes (cancellation, adjustments to dates, and host nation precautions) are possible.
The university’s evaluation will last through spring 2021, with an initial decision for each Summer 2021 program in early March. While the initial decision is an important milestone, the university will continuously monitor developments and make changes through program departure dates. Evaluation criteria include:
- U.S. government advisories project a stable or improving environment.
- Program staffing and infrastructure provide expected levels of student support.
- Program plans and preparations appropriately address COVID-19 concerns (social distancing, enhanced cleaning, and any emerging precautions).
- Program or host nation measures satisfy quarantine/self-isolation requirements, facilitate medical care, and meet other needs without undue restrictions.
- Programs clearly and reasonably specify interruption and cancellation policies, including academic continuity and refunds.
The university will also consider the impact of sending students abroad. This is more than evaluating your ability to travel to the host country. We have an obligation to consider the well-being of host communities and limit risk to them.
Thank you for your understanding and patience. Study abroad staff are committed to keeping you informed throughout the decision-making process. For more information, please see our FAQ at https://safetyabroad.illinois.edu/covid19/faq/.
If you no longer wish to participate in study abroad for Summer 2021, please contact the study abroad office that manages your program. You may also log onto My Study Abroad to withdraw your application. No matter your application status, there will be no application fee assessed if you withdraw.