Using Dana Childress' book, Pause and Reflect: Your Guide to a Deeper Understanding of Early Intervention Practice, this book club series, facilitated by Nisha Sanghvi, OTR/L, offers participants an opportunity to deepen their early intervention practice alongside a community of learners through reading, discussion, reflection, collaborative problem solving and the application of strategies in their current work with families.
This reflective book study explores your role as an early interventionist and considers ways to develop relationships with families and other team members to strengthen your practice by making meaningful changes that align with the mission of Early Intervention and honor your training and expertise.
As a learning community, the following will be discussed:
- What Early Intervention is;
- How a coaching approach can be used to address family-identified priorities through daily routines within natural learning environments;
- How adult learning principles underscore effective early intervention practice;
- How to support the EI triad to engage all learners.
Implementing balanced intervention, respecting each family, and using their identified priorities to guide your work in a culturally sensitive manner, will be reviewed throughout the book study. You can expect to share experiences, and engage in active listening with reflective responses to participate in new learning. You will receive a copy of the "Pause and Reflect" book. To learn more, please visit Pause and Reflect Series registration page.
- Session 1 - Tuesday, February 14, 2023 from 9:30 am - 11:30 am
- Session 2 - Tuesday, February 28, 2023 from 9:30 am - 11:00 am
- Session 3 - Tuesday, March 7, 2023 from 9:30 am - 11:00 am
- Session 4 - Tuesday, March 21, 2023 from 9:30 am - 11:00 am
- Session 5 - Tuesday, April 11, 2023 from 9:30 am - 11:00 am
- Session 6 - Tuesday, April 25, 2023 from 9:30 am - 11:00 am
Optional Drop-in Hours: These use the same zoom info as required sessions
- Tuesday, February 21, 2023 from 9:30 am - 10:30 am
- Tuesday, March 14, 2023 from 9:30 am - 10:30 am
- Tuesday, April 4, 2023 from 9:30 am - 10:30 am
- Tuesday, April 18, 2023 from 9:30 am - 10:30 am
- Tuesday, May 2, 2023 from 9:30 am - 10:30 am
Understanding of the Coaching Approach
Some or all of these reflective questions may be asked during the session. In order to help prepare for the discussion, please review and reflect on the following for each chapter:
Please complete the reflective journal activity as you do your reading before each session. We will expand on these as we discuss them throughout the series.
The following materials can help support your learning throughout the series.