Below you will find a variety of resources to familiarize yourself with the vision of early intervention and the team members that collaborate in the early intervention system.
- DEC Position Statements related to Early Intervention
- DEC Recommended Practices
- Early Intervention: What It Is and Why It Works
- EITP Videos
- Illinois Early Intervention Program: A Guide for Families
- Key Resources and References for Early Intervention (pdf)
- Resources by Profession/Discipline
- Developmental Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Service Coordination
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Working with Interpreters/Translators
DEC Position Statements related to Early Intervention
Position statements from the Division of Early Childhood that relate to Early Intervention are as follows:
DEC Recommended Practices are a Division of Early Childhood initiative that bridges the gap between research and practice, offering guidance to parents and professionals who work with young children who have or are at risk for developmental delays or disabilities. The site includes additional resources related to the Recommended Practices.
The Virginia Early Intervention Professional Development Center (VEIPDC) developed this page full of resources related to explaining what EI is and providing research to support why it works.
This page has a wealth of videos related to Early Intervention in Illinois, like archived webinars and brief introductory videos to share with families. Also included are supplemental handouts to support the use of the videos with families and EI partners.
An early intervention resource guide that includes an overview of early intervention, eligibility, development of an Individualized Service Plan (IFSP), leaving early intervention, legal rights, and frequently asked questions for families. The guide is also available in Spanish (Español).
A comprehensive list of resources in the field of early intervention produced by Larry Edelman, University of Colorado Denver. Resources include Mission and Key Principles of Early Intervention Supports and Services, Position Statements, Competencies, Recommended Practices, and Resources Related to Early Intervention Supports and Services on the Web.
Resources by Profession/Discipline
- Illinois Developmental Therapy Association (IDTA) strives to unite developmental therapists together to define and clarify our scope of practice, legitimize our practice, and provide a standard of excellence for our practice. Focused on Illinois and partnering with valuable organizations, IDTA provides many resources and opportunities for professional development, advocacy, and networking for DTs in Illinois!
- DEC Position Statement on The Role of Special Instruction in Early Intervention (pdf) The purpose of this position statement is to clarify the role of the service, Special Instruction, and its providers (referred to as “special instructors” in this paper) within the broader field of Part C early intervention. Aligned to federal requirements, this statement focuses on this service as it is provided to families of eligible infants and toddlers with developmental delays and disabilities.
Speech Language Pathology
This page provides a video, modules and tips for working with Interpreters and Translators in Early Intervention. If you are an interpreter or translator, please visit our Interpreters/Translators resource page.
Please remember to visit the EITP "Resource" pages for additional early intervention resources.